Madre Maria Domitilla Frasconi, the Abbess of the Monastery, obtained by Rev.do Capitolo of S. Pietro in Rome the gold crown for the Mount’s Virgin, a wooden statue dated back to the XIII century). The gold crown is an important recognition that Rev.do Capitolo grants every 25 years to the most illustrious Marian sanctuaries of the world.
The solemn Crowning took place in 1739. Carlo Gaetano Stampa, the archbishop of Milano, was present.
During the Cisalpine Republic the original gold crown was removed and replaced with another gold one. In 1983 also this last crown was stolen but when the thieves realized that it had no value it was abandoned and threw to the ground. The crown was immediately and adequately restored.
In 1983 Card. Carlo Maria Martini, the archbishop of Milan, solemnly recrowned the Mount’s Virgin.